“Try Jesus” Music Video Directed by Edi Patterson (The Righteous Gemstones)
NASHVILLE, TN – (10/21/22) – The road to Elle King’s forthcoming album “Come Get Your Wife,” out January 27 and available for pre-order today, is not one you would find on Google Maps. It’s full of dirt roads from her youth spent in rural Ohio (a nod to that on the album’s opening track), pot holes and bumper-to-bumper traffic on the streets in New York and L.A. and some uncharted routes to London and Nashville.
The new project pulls from all that influence and life lived on the road and the result is a dozen authentic tracks that could be the musical autobiography of her life. One of those tracks, “Try Jesus,” and the hilariously, ingenious music video are out today. Co-written by King, the irreverent but not blasphemous song finds her looking for a more fulfilling relationship since all the guys in her life are letting her down. ‘“Try Jesus’ came at a time I was trying to give my life over to something greater – and you can feel it,” says King. The tongue-in-cheek song is awash in thick gospel choir wail with just enough church organ to witness.
With a song as fresh as “Try Jesus,” the video needed that same sass and fun so King reached out to a co-star of her favorite series to see if she would join for the video. “The Righteous Gemstones is one of my favorite shows and I adore and have a hell-a respect for Edi Patterson who plays Judy Gemstone,” says King. “She responded quickly to my DM and said she would love to work together. She came up with the concept and believe it or not this is her directorial debut! She’s such a pro and brought this energy, focus and joy to the set and I’m so excited this video is finally out!”
Of the video, Patterson added, “My goal with the concept for this video and for the execution of it was to have an idea that helped Elle feel totally free to be completely gorgeous and wildly funny. Spoiler alert- she’s really, really good at both.”
In addition to “Try Jesus,” with the Oct. 21 pre-order (link here), fans also have access to previously released tracks “Out Yonder,” her current single “Worth A Shot” (featuring Dierks Bentley) and the smash, award winning song “Drunk (And I Don’t Want To Go Home)” with Miranda Lambert. The platinum certified single marked the first female-female collaboration to reach the top spot of Country Airplay chart since 1993!
“This whole album is a crazy quilt of all sorts of moments and things that might not seem to go together, but because they’re me, they do,” says King. “It’s very Southern Ohio, very who we are – and very much a lot of people who are just like me, because I know they’re out there.”
Come Get Your Wife sharpens King’s gaze, digs into her roots, puts her banjo front and center and creates a record that’s as alive and electric as she is. Taking all the pieces – the rock, soul, (blue)grass and country that she loves – she’s made an album that demands your attention, then delivers on all cylinders.
Come Get Your Wife
01. Ohio – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
02. Before You Met Me – Written by Tofer Brown, Meg McRee & Lauren Hungate
03. Try Jesus – Elle King, Geoffrey Warburton, Casey Cathleen Smith, Ashley Gorley & Ben Johnson
04. Drunk (And I Don’t Want To Go Home) With Miranda Lambert – Written by Elle King and Martin Johnson
05. Lucky – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
06. Tulsa – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
07. Worth A Shot (featuring Dierks Bentley) Written by Shane McAnally, Ross Copperman and Josh Osborne
08. Crawlin’ Mood – Written by Charlie Worsham & Jesse Frasure
09. Bonafide – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
10. Blacked Out – Written by Elle King and Martin Johnson
11. Out Yonder – Written by Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
12. Love Go By – Written by Elle King, Geoffrey Warburton & Joe Janiak
For Elle King
ElleKing.com | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | TikTok